If your carpet is looking gross and dingy it’s probably time for a good cleaning. You can pay professionals to come and it for you. Or, if you are looking to save on costs, you can do the work yourself.
With just a little time and effort you can get your carpet looking great again. It’s amazing what a difference clean carpet can make to the overall feeling of your home. Here are a few easy steps to follow for how to get the most out of a carpet shampooer.
- Purchase or rent a carpet shampooer. If you are going to be cleaning your carpets regularly it can be cost effective to purchase your own carpet cleaner. It’s also possible that you won’t need to clean your carpets very often, so renting a machine can save you a lot of money. You will have to decide what best meets your needs.
- Clear the room you want to clean. Get as much out of the room as you can. Small items should be pretty easy to move to other locations. Furniture will be harder to relocate. At the very least, try to push all the furniture into one corner out of the way. It just makes sense that you will want as much of the carpet clear as possible before starting.
- Vacuum really well. There will be a lot of dirt and debris on your carpet that can be cleaned up with the vacuum first. You don’t want to waste your carpet shampoo on things that can be simply vacuumed out of the way. So make sure you take the time to do a good vacuum before you begin. It’s a simple step, but many people skip it thinking that the carpet shampooer will take care of it. But really, getting all that dirt out of the way of the real stains will save you a lot of time.
- Use spot cleaner on the stains. Areas on your carpet that look really dirty or stained will need to be treated with a carpet spot remover. It will make the whole process easier and more effective if the carpets have been pretreated. If you don’t have a spot cleaner that’s fine. Just know you may have to go over some of those spots more than you would if you used the pretreatment on them.
- Get familiar with your carpet shampooer. Before you begin take the time to read all of the instructions that came with your carpet cleaner. You want to be prepared for anything before it happens. There is nothing more frustrating than being half way through a project and having to stop because you don’t know how to work your carpet shampooer.
- Get the carpet shampooer all ready to go. Especially the first time you use it, it might take you a little while to get your carpet shampooer filled up and ready to go. Understanding how the machine works will help with this process. But have it all ready before you try to begin. This will save you a headache later.
- Start in one corner of the room and work on one small space at a time. You can pick a corner to start in and slowly begin. You will move in a small back and forth motion, from one wall to the other. If you watch the motion you will sort of make rows as you work your way across the room.
- Walk slowly as you go. This is an important thing to take notice of. If you move too quickly the cleaning will not work as well. Walking slowly ensures that your carpet shampooer will have time to suck up all of the dirty water in each area. You can watch that water get sucked up. Keep going over an area until the water being sucked up looks clear. Dirty water obviously means that the area you are in is not clean yet. The dirtiness of your carpet will decide how many times you will have to go over each spot.
- Allow for plenty of time for the carpet to dry. Make sure you don’t move any of the furniture back into place until the carpet is completely dry. If you just did a light cleaning in a small area than this might just take a couple hours. If you did a deep clean of the whole room than this might take an entire day. Also, while the carpet is damp make sure that no one walks across it. Their feet or shoes can definitely transfer a lot of dirt onto damp carpet. You would not want all of your hard work to be undone just because there wasn’t enough time for the carpet to dry.
Hopefully you found these steps to be helpful. You will love the difference you will feel in each room of your home as you clean the carpets. Have fun getting your carpet shampooer and getting started.